Counting Sheep is a sleep timer for Mac OS X Tiger’s/Leopard’s Dashboard that lets you listen to music or watch a movie while you're already in bed (or leaving the house, but prefer to do so with the approriate music playing). You just enter how many hours, minutes and seconds shall pass before the Mac shuts down and press start. If you change your mind, you can of course stop the countdown later, don't worry.
This widget is simple and simplistic. It's hopefully also self-explanatory: three input fields, for hours, minutes and seconds, one start button, one stop/halt button and one button to reset the whole thing. On its back side you can choose whether you want your computer to shut down or to go to sleep.
Make sure to save all your documents before starting Counting Sheep, because applications asking about what to do with unsaved files will prevent your Mac from shutting down.
Download Counting Sheep (v1.2, ZIP, 48kb)
Mac OS X v.10.4.3 Tiger is required. If you're using Safari, click the download link. When the widget download is complete, the widget installer appears. Click Install if you want the widget installed on your Mac. If you're using a browser other than Safari, click the download link. When the widget download is complete, unarchive and open it to show the widget installer.
- Open your terminal and run this:
sudo shutdown -h +60Replace 60 with the time in minutes you want your computer to keep running. This will cause funny sounds every once in a while and you may be prompted for your password.
- New nicer icon created with the kind help of Florian Vogel
- Use of new WebKit features for nicer form elements
- Fixed the reset button (what was that about, WebKit?)
- Some more minor superficial improvements
- Several usability improvements (i.e. the enter button now starts the countdown; cursor automatically jumps to the next field when two digits have been entered; …)
- Option to choose between sleep mode and shutdown on the (newly introduced) back of the widget
- Moved to Dashcode for development and easier testing (and bloated file size)
First release. Enter a time span, have your computer shut down.
Contact The Author